Thinking and talking about the course has turned into action. Yes, UNIV 291 has begun. I did not create a navigation or orientation video because I had provided a lot of instructions on the website. The students didn’t seem to be lost. They knew where to start. I had a Get Started button, to be sure.
Most of their questions centered around Learning Activity terms we use in Connected Learning. Were they doing things “right” and questions about social media. Why aren’t my tweets showing up? There was anxiety and excitement at blasting off, but I wanted them to feel they belonged to a community right away. So I launched the site, let them navigate the course site a bit and then posted a video to let them know I’m present and available; always listening and responding. I also wanted to emphasize the affordances of the open web, knowing most of them were new to Twitter and were not familiar with Connected Learning.
The video took me considerable time to produce. The following are the tools I used and the production process:
- PRE-PROD: I thought of what I wanted to say and wrote it out using MS Word. It would come in handy for close-captioning in YouTube later.
- I didn’t read off the script. It was a guide so that I wouldn’t have too many “Ums and Ahs.”
- PROD: I created the raw videos in Quicktime Player on my iMac. There is an option for Movie recording. I saved both as MOV files. I had gone much longer than I intended to be – about 7 minutes. I split the first file and created another ending movie.
- I imported them into WeVideo for editing. [Note: I tried using iMovie but it didn’t have the editing timeline I prefer to use but this option is available in WeVideo.] I have a paid account that allows me to have more storage space and editing features in WeVideo. The app didn’t work too well with my older Windows machine. It worked better (without crashing) on my newer XP touchscreen laptop. (Just something to note.) In WeVideo, I clipped the videos and merged them with transitions, title and ending slides, audio and annotations.
- I then published the final movie in WeVideo and YouTube (so that I could close caption it).
- POST-PROD: Close captioning was completed rather efficiently with a script in YouTube.
I was reasonably pleased with the final outcome and what I could do in WeVideo. The whole video took longer than I intended to spend time on because I had not estimated how long my initial script would take. Mostly, it’s also in the little details — what font to use, what music, what transitions, etc. Let me know if you have any questions about creating your own course videos. It’s highly doable these days with the available web technologies.
With more time, I would have captured the process with a software, but I’m short of time at the moment. Something to revisit later.